1960 – 1986
With a growing involvement in producing their own blended whisky, Highland Distilleries constructed a new production building housing the mashing, fermentation and distillation equipment at Glenglassaugh in 1959 and re-opened Glenglassaugh in 1960. Their aim was to produce a light, whisky with little character that could be used for blends in large quantities.
It was only after 10 years of running that they discovered that Glenglassaugh whisky was a complex whisky full of character which had to be used more sparingly in blends than other whiskies which were available. A number of trials were undertaken over the years to try and change the whiskies character, but without success and so eventually, in 1986, the company decided to close the distillery but to continue to operate the relatively large warehouse on the site.
It was during the 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s that the whiskies that have in recent years won awards and international recognition and become sought after by whisky connoisseurs and collectors alike, were produced. The four managers who oversaw the production during this period were themselves recognised recently with the release of The Managers’ Legacy Series of single cask whiskies.